Fictions
Wednesday, February 28, 2007
 

This is the start of my second novel. I'm not sure where to go with this story. I may have boxed myself into a canyon.

Creative Commons LicenseThis work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License.This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/ or send a letter to Creative Commons, 543 Howard Street, 5th Floor, San Francisco, California, 94105, USA.

The End Of The World

This clear night in the canyons was almost perfect. Not a cloud in the sky. The moon was full. So full it seemed larger than life. It was good to be away. The cool breeze felt good on Jueqel’s skin. Laying down in the back of his pickup truck, he and Ray were enjoying this peace and quiet, far enough from civilization to make all the difference in the world.

Jueqel had been doing research on the Psychinians, their lineage, and possible origins. Always a time consuming, but he came across some interesting facts about them, which took more time away. Ray’s teaching had gone full-time, his classes full of new students. Psychics in the rough.

“What are those lights on the moon?” Ray’s voice was alarmed.

Broken out of his reverie, Jueqel asked, “lights?”

There were lights. Strange bright sparks on the edge of the moon. One, two, three, and then four and five very bright spots of light. A mild pain in his head, Jueqel put his hands over his eyes to shield his thoughts, but it was too late. Jueqel received mental impressions. They were coming from all around the world. Emotions and telepathic signals coming at him in confusion. So many people were witnessing this event, it was hard block out the psychic stampede. Ray had been talking to him, shouting now, but the silent noise was stamping out his voice.

Ray touched Jueqel, and a wash of clarity broke through with Ray’s mind the only other voice in his head. “Honey, come back,” his mind insisted.

“I’m back.” The after effects of that mental onslaught left Jueqel a little dazed, but it was Ray’s mental block that kept the voices at bay.

“I think we have a problem,” Ray was stating the obvious, but it was also Jueqel’s echo of his own voice that he’d heard. Through his touch, Ray’s mind had melded with Jueqel’s. Their minds as one, thinking and being as one mind. Together and apart, more than the sum of themselves. They’d been so busy this past year, Ray hadn’t been in Jueqel’s mind in over a month.

“Oh, how I missed this feeling,” they spoke to each other in unison. “But you’re right. There is something wrong. Some of the impressions are premonitions of those people dieing.”

Jueqel pulled away and broke their meld. “Thank you.”

“I’ve seen a dozen bright lights on the moon,” Ray explained. “They look like explosions.”

“Yes,” Jueqel agreed. “You see that there. Looks like a twenty more smaller explosions running in a curve through the center.”

“Oh, crap. I see it.”

It was then that the moon broke apart. A huge chuck came crashing toward the earth.

Jueqel looked at Ray in disbelief. “This cannot be happening.”

“Yea, I can’t believe it either,” Ray’s voice took on a distant sound. “The moon crashing into the world means that we’re all going to die. Life as we know it will change forever. No one will survive this.” Panic started to well in his eyes.

Jueqel’s mind was struggling. “No. No. It’s not that. I mean, this would have or should have been predicted by The Resonance House? That’s what we do. We avoid disasters like these. We stop these kinds of things from happening.”

Ray’s panic was still there, but he’d managed to repress it. “How can you stop something like this. The moon is falling?”

“I mean that we would know about this a long time before it could happen. Precogs pick up on disasters long before they occur. With that kind of notice, we could stop the moon from falling. There are enough Teeps in the world that we could all combine our abilities to patch the world. The world cannot end. We don’t allow it.”

Tears welled up in Ray’s eyes. “I love you,” he said with such a finality, Jueqel wanted to cry.

The world was not going to end, Jueqel knew. There had to be something. “No. It’s not the end.” He tried to convince himself. He grabbed Ray and held to him tight. Ray wrapped his huge arms around Jueqel’s smaller frame. “I could be safe in these arms,” Jueqel realized with a start that Ray had begun to mind meld with him again.

“Well, if we have to go, I want to be with you when it happens,” Ray’s thoughts came through.

An idea began forming in his head. “When it happens?” Their eyes met as if for the first time. It was always like that, but this time it was for the last time. “Time? What?”

Jueqel started to loose himself in the oneness a meld provides. Ray could control the meld and keep their minds separate. Jueqel ask Ray to keep their minds apart. “Ray, take us into my mind only. I need to see the research on Psychinians and their potential to alter temporal landmarks.” Ray agreed and they both went rummaging through Jueqel’s memories.

Jueqel pulled away from Ray’s contact. The time spent in the meld was only seconds, but it felt like they had been in research for hours. “I recall the reference to days spent with the first Psychinian the House encountered. The passage at first reads as if it might have been days or it might have been only hours.”

Ray nodded, “yes.”

“But it wasn’t poor memories, it was altered memories. At least for some of them. I think the Psychinian turned back the clock and stopped his friend from dieing.”

Ray shook his head, “no. I don’t think that’s right. Your research on those members showed…”

Jueqel cut in, “showed an increase in precognitive abilities. At least it was true for our founder.”

Ray was nodding his head again, “and it may have been true for the others. But we don’t know how to do this.”

“Maybe I do. I have always been good at picking up talents. Aside from picking up on psychic potential, I don’t have a single talent that stands out.”

“But how?” Ray sounded doubtful.

“I know I can do this. Just the simple fact that it had been done before means that it can be done.”

The earth beneath them rumbled and the truck lurched forward throwing them both into the air. They cleared several feet, but only inches away from the truck landing on them. The ground beneath the truck slid down and away and pulled the vehicle out of sight. Ray reached over to check Jueqel as Jueqel did the same. The loose earth gave way under them both and they slipped after the truck.

Ray melded them and psychically enhanced their physical and mental attributes, and for a while the world moved in slow motion. They scrambled to their feet and ran up the collapsing landscape avoiding falling rocks. They held hands during the meld, and shared thoughts on what Jueqel would do next.

Finding a stable mesa, Jueqel and Ray stopped to focus their mental abilities. Lending strength, Ray poured his psionic reserve into Jueqel. Pain erupted between them as their connection was severed by a boulder hitting Ray.

Jueqel refused this. “It has not happened. It would not happen.” His mind was charged and he merely needed to step back, and he did.

Dual Memories

The world spun around and slowed to a blurry halt. Ray’s voice cried out, “what are you doing?”

Disoriented, Jueqel found himself bouncing up and down staring out of a truck windshield. Large hands had a hold of the steering column in front of him jerking the truck right and left.

“BRAKES!” Ray shouted.

Jueqel reacted by pressing down with his right foot. Only the truck lurched forward and pressed him back against the seat. His head bumped the back window. “BRAKES!” came the shout again. His head smarted but the jolt brought him around. A calm settled within Jueqel as reality settled in. He released the gas petal and slammed the brakes hard.

Fishtailing and then spinning to a halt, Jueqel and Ray sat in the truck. Ray was panting heavily.

“What was that?” Ray was suppressing some anger and more than a little fear. “Honey, what happened? I feel so strange. Did we just not almost have an accident?” He stumbled for the words.

“Ah, I’m sorry” was all Jueqel could manage. He had to collect his thoughts. Outside the truck the sun was just setting, the last flicker of solar rays tipping the landscape of mesas. “Ray? Are we in the desert?” Jueqel knew the answer, but needed the confirmation.

“Yes, and now your scaring me. Are you sure it’s okay for us to be away from the House? If you’re having second thought, I don’t have a problem going back.” Ray reach over to touch Jueqel. “No, you’re not running a fever, but you do feel a little clammy. What’s wrong? Why did you loose control?”

Jueqel took Rays hands and turned to face him. Ray saw what was about to happen and slammed the truck into Park. I have to get a hold of myself. “Yes, there is a problem. The world is about to come to an end, and I don’t know how to stop it.”

Ray’s expression went blank and unreadable. This was how he got when he didn’t want anyone knowing what he was thinking. It worked for most people. “Honey,” his tone was patronizing. “Maybe if you start from the beginning I’ll understand. Was it a premonition?”

“No, yes, maybe, well sort of, but not really.” Damn! I’ve come back in time to save you was what he was going to say. “I’m not sure how to say this without sounding like I’m out of my mind.” Jueqel then thought the sun’s last glimmer of light winked out.

Ray’s face contorted in a grimace. A look Jueqel had never witnessed and never dreamed possible on one as skilled as he was with mental control. Gritting his teeth, Ray spat out, “not unless I’m going mad with you. For a moment there I thought we were getting out of the truck to watch the moon climb. In fact, I get the feeling that were letting the tailgate down as we speak.”

Jueqel could remember that was what they’d done a few hours ago. Jueqel looked back to see the tailgate was open. “It must have fallen open while we were spinning.”

“Spinning?” Ray asked. “We were? Yeah, I remember that too. We drove up here and parked right in this spot.”

Jueqel nodded, “yes, we did. And we spun out and landed here too.” Jueqel caressed Ray’s face. “Baby, the world is going to end in a matter of hours.”

Ray was looking around obviously confused. “What? Didn’t you just tell me that?”

“Yes, Baby.” Jueqel pulled Ray’s attention to his own eyes. “You have to listen to me. Focus inward and meditate. I think the other memories you are having are real. I think that in trying to save you I forgot to save the world. I didn’t go back in time far enough.”

“What? Back in time? I don’t understand.” Ray protested.

“Meld with me and take what memories I have of the last several minutes.”

Ray reached his hands up to Jueqel’s face and gasped a few minutes later. He pulled away saying, “you really did go back in time.”

“Yes, and the important thing is that I know how to do it now.”

Ray pressed his hands to his skull and with an effort then forced his hands down. “I’ve got to meditate, you’re right. I don’t think I can take too many memories like this.” He closed his eyes briefly and opened them again. “I can think better now. I had to sort the memories. It’s like the two memories have different flavors. I should be able to filter them as needed.”

Jueqel was silently watching. “What does this mean? Do you think anyone that changes their actions the 2nd time around with also remember the first time?”

Ray considered, “yes. It looks that way. I don’t know much about temporal mechanics. In fact, I think the Space Trekkers TV series is the only place I’d ever heard it mentioned.” Looking up to laugh, it came out heavy and loud.

Jueqel jumped at the unexpected sound.

“Sorry,” Ray apologized. “It’s just so crazy. I’ve never experienced anything like this. Two memories happening at the same time.”

“I’m going to have to go back further in time. I need to go back far enough to stop the moon from falling apart. ”

“I know, but you’re going to have to go back and contact as few people as you can. People will have memories that double up on them. They can’t do what I do. At least most of them can’t. The ones that go mad might be the lucky ones. I’d hate to think what would happen to the general populace.”

If I go back in time, he’ll have a 3rd memory to worry about when this time comes again. “I might need to take you with me.”

Ray was shaking his head. “I don’t think that’s a good idea. If two of us go back, that’s twice the chance that we’ll alter more actions and add to people’s memories.”

Jueqel looked back to the tailgate and to the position of the truck. “I think it’s more than that.”

“Why? What do you see?”

Jueqel gestured to the back. “The truck is in the exact position that we had it in when we parked here the first time. The tailgate is open.”

“You’re right. What the…?”

Jueqel looked for whatever it was that Ray had spotted.

“Right there. In the headlights.” Ray jumped out of the truck. “You see where we spun? The tracks? They’re faded?”

Jueqel got out of the truck. “I’m listening.”

Ray turned within as does when focusing his psychic talent. He raised his foot into the air. His leg bulked up as it came down into the sandy gravel. The imprint it left was deep. “Now watch.”

Jueqel watched, and right before his eyes the foot print began to change. Well, not really change so much as take on a new reality. The imprint stayed, but it didn’t have the depth it had a moment ago. “Okay, what does this mean?”

“It means that the first time has impressed itself not just in our memories…” Ray trailed off.

Jueqel picked up where Ray left off, “It really has happened, and I don’t think it likes to be changed.”

Ray agreed, “even so, I don’t think we have a choice. Or you don’t really have a choice. You have to go back to fix it. Find out what could cause the moon to explode and stop it. If it can be stopped.”

“I need you to come with me. I can’t do this alone.”

“You don’t have to. Go back and find Nepal,” Ray insisted. “Yes, he can help. He may not be affected by this.”

Now, it was time for Jueqel to shake his head. “It doesn’t matter what I do. I’ve been extremely busy the past few months. I’ve come into contact with so many people. If I change one routine, miss one appointment, I could be affecting thousands of people.”

Ray shrugged, “better than the whole earth being destroyed.”

Jueqel didn’t have a response. They stood silent staring at one another. “I don’t want to loose you.”

After a long moment Ray said, “let’s find Nepal, now.”

Getting Some Help

Nepal appeared in the exact spot Jueqel expected him. He dropped to his knees, “oh, the pain is intense.”

Jueqel motioned to Ray, “help him.”

Ray knelt down and placed his hand on Nepal’s forehead. Jueqel could feel the power surge as Ray worked his magic. Two or three minutes passed and they stood up.

Nepal rounded on Jueqel, angry. “What do you mean calling for my help on this? I have no experience in time travel. My brain feels like it’s going to explode. My limbs ache.”

Jueqel flashed an irritated look at Ray that he hoped conveyed the message that he may have said too much. “Nepal, I didn’t know who else to turn to,” Jueqel flushed red. “You’re potentially the strongest psychic I know. If you can travel back in time with me, we can fix what’s going to happen next.”

“No,” Nepal started to say more.

“You can’t say ‘no’, because we’re all going to die if we don’t do something.” Jueqel voice cracked in a whine. He didn’t mean to sound pleading, but they were running out of time. He laugh at himself.

Nepal sniffed, “funny for you maybe, but I don’t think I can. I feel like I’m doing something else right now. It’s painful.” Nepal crouched down and cringed in pain. “It’s like I’m being ripped apart.”

Jueqel turned to Ray, “did you teach him the meditation?”

“Jueqel’s right,” Ray said to Nepal. “Concentrate. You’ve got to separate the memories.”

“Damn it I am,” Nepal cried out.

Jueqel knew what he had to do. Hopefully this works on a being like him. “No, you’re not,” Jueqel took two steps and slugged Nepal.

Jueqel felt the psychic blow come from Nepal. It was instant, and much of the pain Nepal had, Jueqel felt it down to his core. Such pain, how can he bare it? Jueqel realized he was on the ground. His feeble psychic shield was nothing compared to Nepal’s strength.

Ray had not acted. He stood back and observed with a cold stare. Was that a hint of a smile? Surely not.

Jueqel picked himself up and dusted off.

Nepal was taking in his surroundings. “Oh my? We’re in the desert.”

“Pain gone?” Jueqel snapped.

Nepal’s mouth twisted awkward. “Sorry. Yes, thank you,” Nepal said in tone that was less than grateful. Then in a meeker voice, “I didn’t hurt you did I?”

“More than I thought you would, but I had to get through to you.” Jueqel swallowed, “I’m sorry, too.”

Nepal nodded his head. “Alright, I’m going with you. Armand’s been touring. His act has gotten so much better now that he’s discovered his inner strength.” A gleam in Nepal’s eyes sprang up with a smile as he mentioned his lover. “Anyway, I haven’t seen him in a few weeks. Having too much fun and too busy to pay me much mind.”

Jueqel grabbed hold of Ray and looked into his deep almond brown eyes. “Baby, are you sure you don’t want to come with us? You and I’ve spent a lot of time together,” Jueqel explained, “and when I meet, or don’t meet with you in the past, this will put a strain on your mind. You might even interfere if something appears out of place.”

Ray pulled away, stepped back and said, “then meld with me in the past. I’ll master the thoughts, just like I’m doing now. My students will need to know what’s happening, and it might even give me a chance to teach them how useful many of the Yogan techniques are.” Ray looked up to the sky. “The moons getting higher.”

The moon was rising. I don’t know if I can do this without you, Jueqel wanted to say.

Ray planted a passionate kiss. “I’m still getting the extra memories and we’re supposed to be kissing right about now,” he said playfully. “Now, go and save the world.”

Nepal took Jueqel’s arm and squeezed Ray’s shoulder. “Yeah, let’s go. If we’re going to do this, we don’t need to waste any more time.”

Jueqel focused his mind on a point in time three weeks ago. Opening his mind to the possibilities, his vision shifted to a place and time as in a vivid dream. He felt the not yet familiar sense of dizziness begin, and gripped Nepal. Willing the the man to come with him. As they leaped through time, Ray’s fading voice shouted as if through a cavern, “maybe, I’ll see you again yesterday!”

Double Trouble

The spinning wasn’t as severe this time, and Jueqel let world settle down before he tried to do anything.

They had arrived in Jueqel’s office. The clock on his desk showed it was a little after 5 in the morning. He was currently laying on the leather sofa half wrapped in a throw.

Nepal stood next to him looking a little dazed but otherwise alright. Nepal cocked his head, “what are you doing there?”

“I brought us to a time I knew I’d slept in my office,” Jueqel explained. “About three weeks ago.”

Nepal’s face was stone with an almost expectant look. Jueqel assumed he was waiting for more explanations.

“I worked late last night, and I was sleeping at this time,” Jueqel said. “The first time I went back in time, I could have ended up at the bottom of a canyon, and Ray along with me. I didn’t want to put us in danger, so a sleeping spot seemed safe enough.” Nepal’s stare bored into him, making Jueqel want to confess everything. “I had been so busy of late that it was just easier to catch cat naps when I could.”

Nepal’s eyes rolled to the back of his head, and he fell back hitting his head against the top of the desk on the way down. His head made a soft thud against the hardwood desktop and bounced forward throwing him on his side. He was face down on the floor, arms and legs positions awkwardly.

Jueqel sprang up, dumbfounded. “Oh, crap! Nepal?” Don’t do this to me now. I need help. I can’t do this alone. Jueqel checked to see if Nepal was breathing. “Good. You’re not dead.” Think, Jueqel. Think. Jueqel smacked him lightly on the face. “Nepal. Wake up.”

When no response came, Jueqel grabbed some water an threw it on Nepal’s face. “Nepal, are you alright. Wake up. Don’t do this. You have to come around. We don’t have a lot of time.” Jueqel stopped at that. Time? Maybe I do have a lot of time. Considering, Jueqel said, “I’ll just go back to a few moments ago and stop him from falling.”

The thought of going back in time just then made Jueqel a little queasy. “No matter. I’ve got to get this done.” Focusing, Jueqel turned back the clock to just before Nepal went stone faced.

The spinning had not stopped completely when Jueqel moved to pull Nepal safely away from the desk, and onto the sofa. Nepal passed out and dropped to the cushions.

There was movement behind them and a soft thud, and the sound a body makes hitting the floor. Jueqel whipped around to see Nepal had hit the desktop as he had the first time. Only there was Nepal passed out safely on the sofa.

“What the? There are two of you? Why?” Jueqel reached for the water again, but the glass was empty. Nepal’s face is wet? Impossible. I didn’t throw water on him this time. “I don’t understand. Ray didn’t double-up on me,” Jueqel said exasperated.

The Nepal on the sofa stirred, “what’d you say? You betting n…” He froze when he saw himself on the floor.

Jueqel stepped back to let Nepal get a good look.

Crawling from the sofa over to the body, Nepal asked, “who’s that supposed to be?”

“I’m pretty sure it’s you,” Jueqel’s voice cracked.

“Ah, then my next question should be, ‘who am i?’” Nepal sarcastic tone was accusing, “or do you think I should be worried?”

Reaching for a theory, Jueqel tried to sound clinical. “Although, Psychinians may appear human, there are some things that cannot be altered. It would seem that because you have, or rather, your existence revolves around being a higher life form.” Jueqel hesitated. “Maybe time cannot change for…”

Nepal cut in, “you don’t know. All your research and studies, and you don’t know. You can’t just play with people.”

“Now, wait just a minute.”

“A minute? You know it seems that every time I learn something new about myself the scarier it gets for me.” Shook his hands in frustration. “So, how many did you create?”

“What do you mean?” Jueqel asked.

“Well, did I replicate two, three or four times?”

“I’m a little confused.” Then Jueqel realized what Nepal was getting at. “Oh, no. You’re not an experiment. When we went back in time, I saw you pass out and hit your head. I couldn’t wake you, and I thought you might be too injured. So, I went back in time to stop you from falling. And I did. That’s why you were on the sofa when you came around.”

Nepal was beginning to pace back and forth. When it sank in Nepal’s tone was softer, “I’m sorry. I guess I should thank you for trying to save me. Well, you did save me, but…”

“Well, no problem.” Jueqel tried to blow it off as nothing. “I just have to realize that I can’t save everyone.”

Nepal’s cheeks reddened, “Jueqel, I’m sorry. I know that’s exactly what we’re trying to do.”

“Yeah, but maybe saving the world isn’t so easy. I have to be more cautious. Who knows how many problems I’ve caused already.”

Nepal shook his head, “no matter how many problems you cause now. It can’t compare to what’s going to happen in 3 weeks.”

“You’re right, but I can just shirk responsibility.”

“No one’s saying you shouldn’t,” Nepal was still shaking his head. “I’m just saying I appreciate what you’ve done for me. That’s all.”

“Oh,” Jueqel was relieved. “Then thanks.”

“We better get going.”

“What are we going to do about him?” Jueqel pointed to the knocked out Nepal.

I’m Not Me

Nepal studied the man on the floor, “wait a minute. This Nepal here is the real Nepal, isn’t he?”

“I don’t think he’s any more real that you are.” Jueqel asked, “do you feel any less real?”

“You’re right. It’s ridiculous to mull over whose real and whose not, but I can’t help but feel that I came into existence after him.”

“Well, if it makes you feel any better,” Jueqel began, but stopped before he said too much.

Nepal’s stare bored into him with a “What?”

With this line of thinking, “technically speaking; that Nepal would not be considered the original either.”

Nepal looked around himself, “and this one was created from the first time you went back into time and called me to help.”

“Yeah, pretty much,” Jueqel agreed.

“So, there is another one 3 weeks from now.”

Jueqel put up his hands to fend off the question, “now, I’m not clear on how this temporal stuff works. I do know that the Nepal from the original time is dead along with everyone else in the world, or will be in 3 weeks. This one came back with me, and that makes him number 2. Your Nepal the 3rd.”

“So, I’m number three. What about the Nepal from this time? Right about now, I’d still be sleeping in bed. Armand is doing a show in Germany, I think. Is this Nepal number 4 or what?”

Jueqel tapped his lips, “I think that we may be looking at this incorrectly.” For crying out loud, what a mess. I may have made a mistake bringing Nepal with me. “It may be that you, the you that is already here, is not here.”

“OK, now you’ve lost me.”

“I’ve come back in time twice, no, three times. Each time I show up in my own body. I don’t run into other versions of me,” Jueqel explained. He trailed off not sure of what to say next.

“You think that I’m here, and the other me from the here and now is not doing those things that I did 3 weeks ago?” Nepal didn’t sound convinced, and the conversation was quickly becoming convoluted.

“Well, those things never really happened, or will not happen. All the contacts that you made will not happen now, and if they do, it will be you that makes them in a completely different way. For instance, when I went back in time, I nearly wrecked the truck I was driving. However, the first time I drove I parked the truck. Ray remembered what had happened as they were going to happen.” Jueqel stopped to think about the implications. “Do you remember what was going to happen after I contacted you three weeks from now?”

“No, but I remember there was a lot of pain until Ray showed me how to block it. Why does that seem so long ago? It can’t have been more than an hour ago.”

Jueqel grunted in frustration, “then maybe it doesn’t work the same for Psychinians. Ray didn’t duplicate, but his memory did.”

“I guess that gives credence to the theory that my kind are made of thought. If that’s what I am, then it would explain why I can be in more than one place in the same time. It also means that there is another one of me in this time.”

“If we pull that you away from whatever you were going to do in the next 3 weeks, we might end up creating copy after copy of you.”

“Yeah, and I don’t want to think about it,” Nepal said with a sense of finality.

Jueqel didn’t know how to console his friend. I wish Ray were here. He would know what to do. Clasping his hands together and rubbing, Jueqel resolved to set things right for the world. “Right then. We need a plan. One that will no involve altering too many people’s lives. None, if we can help it, but I don’t see how that’s possible.”

“If anything else bad happens to me, then don’t try to fix it by turning back the clock,” Nepal half asked.

Jueqel thought the topic had been resolved, but said, “if it does happen that you get hurt, then it will happen regardless of how I try to stop it. Yes, I’ve learned that lesson, Nepal. And I’ll do us both the favor and not repeat it.”

This seemed to satisfy Nepal. “Thanks.”

Jueqel placed his hand on the injured Nepal, “now, Nepal the second needs help. I see no bruise and no lump on his head. I can attempt a probe and see how bad he is, but I’m not that skilled.”

“Let me try,” Nepal reached for the injured man’s forehead. “Wow, I was able to sense his mind before I even touched him.” He closed his eyes and relayed what he found. “He’s dreaming. He’s not in any pain. I think I see what’s wrong. There is a slice or a cut of sorts,” Nepal quickly released and pulled away.

“What’s wrong?”

“I’m not sure yet,” Nepal reached again, this time with both hands. “There are lines or patterns of thought that are grid like. Very strange. I don’t know how I’m doing this, but I can see the silver cord that makes up this man’s thread, and it continues as independent as mine. There is a cut or a slice in the cord. I don’t have the cut in mine.”

“I remember you talked about the silver cord when you and Cheshin were struggling in the Astral Plane. Is this similar to that?”

Ignoring the question, Nepal continued. “Jueqel, there is something strange with this guy. I mean, it’s me, but it’s not me. Or maybe what I mean to say is that I’m not Nepal. I have his memories, but I’m not really Nepal. And neither is he, I suspect. But for him it doesn’t matter.” Nepal laughed maniacally. “This is crazy.”

“Please explain,” Jueqel coaxed. “I’m not really following you. Your psychic auras appears the same to me.”

“Jueqel, I don’t know how to translate this for you, but I am who I think I am, but I’m not. The way it appears to work is pretty straight forward. Whenever I split into a new me, it’s really like giving birth to a child. Or in my case a new life form. This is fascinating. No wonder you’re so obsessed with me.”

“I wouldn’t call it an obsession,” Jueqel said defensively. “It’s my job to study Psychinians.”

“Yea, whatever,” Nepal smile playful, but his eyes were condescending. “The way I see it, I could split anytime I want.”

“You mean…”

“I mean I could give birth to a new me anytime I want.”

“Nepal, are you saying that you can violate all known physical and psychic laws, and just spontaneously procreate?” Jueqel couldn’t believe what he was hearing. How is that possible?

“According to what I see here, yes.”

“Then why couldn’t you see this before?”

Nepal didn’t answer right away. After a considerable moment he said, “because I couldn’t see myself before.”

Jueqel didn’t know what to make of it, but with the circumstances surrounding the beings known as Psychinian’s and their existence had been a mystery right from the first encounter. Jueqel had been lucky to find Nepal, and now he had two or three Nepals to help unravel the mystery. “Can you help him?”

Nepal’s response was immediate, “yes, but he’s already healing. He’ll come around in a few minutes.”

Babies

The bus started puttering about a mile back, and it would be a few more miles before they could reach a gas station. Out of gas the slender dark man pulled into the desert a good ways off the road. This time of night there would be no one traveling by this route; No one to see the stranded women and no one to see the father of their children vanish.

“My beautiful wives,” Tatawon voice was deep and reverberated in an almost musical harmony. “I believe I’ve come to the end of the road.”

Elaine, Diana, Nina, Jordane, Leeza, Marigold, Helga, Annette, Freda, and Latwana looked over to their husband. A sort of awe held their attention. For the past year they had followed him. He was their spiritual leader. It was through him they had found peace, happiness, and the strength to take their place in the world.

Tatawon bright white smile graced them, and they bathed in his light. His dark skin, ebony black, was in sharp contrast to his pearly white teeth. “My wives, I have found enlightenment.”

Diana smiled and said, “yes, my husband. That is why we follow you. Our love for you is not near enough payment for the grace you have shown us. Our children, or rather your children, will come soon.”

“My wives,” Tatawon set his jaw, and with a firm tone told them, “I have found true enlightenment this very night, when the sun set not two hours ago. That is why we set out for the hospital. I have discovered after all these many years that I am more than just a man. I thought to transport you to the hospital so that you could bear my children, but it is not to be. I have to leave you now.”

The wives smiled idiotically, even as Tatawon stepped off the bus. The wives looked at each other, and they knew this must be a test of their faith. They quickly followed suit and trailed off after him.

Tatawon walked into the cool desert, and his wives followed. In fact, they ran to him.

“Oh, beloved husband, we will follow wherever you lead. Ask us to do what you will,” Freda’s words were sharp and proud.

Tatawon turned to his wives and said, “Where I go next, you cannot follow. This I tell you in truth. Your sons will follow me in due time, but you cannot.”

The women became agitated and afraid. “Oh, what have we done wrong?” asked Elaine.

“We have done all you command, and we will continue to obey you.” Helga’s tone was more demanding, but still quite meek.

“If we have shamed you, punish us as you will,” Annette had tears running down her cheeks.

“You are women, and I am only in the likeness of a man. I am …”

He was interrupted with the gasps and mutterings of the women, “my water broke,” and “my child comes.”

Tatawon watched emotionally detached as the women rushed to him and explained that his baby is coming. All the babies will be born soon. “Then if my children are ready, let them be born.” And he placed his hands upon their bellies, but only briefly for each he offered one a stroke. The mothers dropped to ground and began to give birth. Surprisingly quick, each woman held a babe in her arms moments later.

Orion And Lon

Nepal went over to the sofa, or rather dropped onto the sofa. “So, how’d you figure out that time travel was even possible?”

“Ah, I was desperate. When I saw that the moon was going to explode, or after it exploded, I asked Ray to meld with me. It gave me some time to go over the details from my research.” Jueqel cocked his head ruefully, “you know it was you that gave me the idea that time travel could be attempted.”

“Me?”

“Yes, you, Nepal. Or more correctly, your Psychinian lineage.” Jueqel was nodding to himself, “yes. My obsession brought me to the conclusion that somehow time could be altered and made right.”

“You call this right?” Nepal was examining his hands and then pointed to Nepal the 2nd.

“There is that, yes. I agree. Maybe not the best Right, but under the circumstances I think I made the right decision.” Jueqel thought, why am I getting all defensive?

“I think I need a name. Calling me Nepal might get things confused when this guy wakes up.”

“What kind of name?”

“Something normal like Nick or Barry. Wait no. Nothing with an ‘N’. How about Orion?”

Jueqel smiled, “nice to meet you OrioN.”

Orion slapped his head.

Nepal the 2nd stirred. He looked up from the floor and stared at his mirror image in Orion. “What’s this?”

“Not this, but who,” Orion corrected. “Jueqel here has some explaining to do.”

“Me?” Jueqel asked incredulously. “Can’t you explain what happened? I mean you would know yourself better than I, Nepal. I mean Orion.”

“Well, on that you might be right.” Orion agreed. “Nepal, read my mind. I’ve got some things to tell you, and you’re not going to believe it.”

Energy radiated from them, a soft glow of psychic energy that focused between. Jueqel could see the power surging and hoped that the house didn’t wake up to this disturbance. Nothing I can do about that.

Meanwhile, Jueqel poured water for each of them. After several minutes of psychic bonding the two Nepals came out of it grinning.

Jueqel asked carefully, “what’s so funny?”

Orion answered, “it’s just that every time we get involved with you, something fantastic is taking place. You’re like a weird magnet.”

Jueqel sniffed, “hey, it’s my job.” Well, it was.

They all laughed at that.

Orion said, “Nepal here has changed his name as well. If something happens and we meet another one of us, we’ve got to be able to tell us apart.”

“Yeah, I’ve decided on Lon.”

“Oh, crap,” Orion blurted out. “Dad’s going to flip when he finds out how many son’s he has.”

Jueqel started to shake his head but stopped at the apex. Cautiously he said, “that is not exactly correct.”

“I know, I know. My father is not my actual progenitor,” Orion said curtly. “However, I look enough like him, and he was my mother’s inspiration to have a child. I would not be who I am if my father had been someone else. To me he is my father, and nothing can change that.”

Lon agreed, and said as much.

Jueqel simply nodded, fair enough.

“Here’s some water. If you want anything stronger, we’ll have to duck out into the hall and down to the kitchens,” Jueqel told them.

“Thanks,” Orion drank half the glass in a few gulps.

Lon said in a whisper, “but I think we’d better get to the matter at hand.”

Jueqel set the water down on the desk and opened his mouth to speak.

Orion cut him off, “what we need is to discover what exactly has happened in the future.”

“That’s easy…” Jueqel started.

“We can’t go to the future. We just came from there. We’re in the here and now to find out what will happened based on the events that lead up to the …”

“moon falling apart,” Jueqel cut in. “Yes. Yes. You have the idea. I can see that you two are going to be a handful. Now, I’m the only one here who was actually there when the catastrophe happened.”

The two Nepals stared at him. “Well, what’s our next step?”

“Thank you,” Jueqel managed to dramatize the words. “No one here at the Resonance House sensed anything was amiss. In fact, for the last few weeks, or the next few weeks, overall crises were at a minimum. This would have been a clue to some, but no one came forward with anything.”

Orion said, “so, what you are saying is that we don’t know where to start?”

“Not exactly,” Jueqel tapped his lips. “I think we can do something. We need to start from where I had the truck parked in the canyon.”

Lon began to ask, “what good…”

“It’s a starting spot for sensing the future. I’m not that strong in it, but I am under the impression you can’t really see the future at all.”

The Nepals nodded, “I can’t do it.” They’re heads snapped to look at each other. They laughed in unison.

I think I’ll never get used to that. Jueqel said, “stop that.”

Together they said, “stop what?” The laughed again, but this time less in time with each other.

“Yes, I see this is going to be quite the challenge,” Jueqel was getting irritated, but he hoped his voice wasn’t giving that much away. He decided to continue the topic. “We need to get to the canyons. Do you remember where we were? Good. Then we should teleport there. Would one of you do the honor of transporting me?”

The two Nepals joined hands and clasped Jueqel on the shoulders. Of course, together they said, “let’s go.”

Green skies

The sky changed color today, and I’m not sure you could say I didn’t expect it. The one thing I wasn’t expecting was the color to change a vibrant green. There were no clouds for a while. I figured this was one of those weather strangies that we were warned about in school. The sky went blue again, but the green came back twice more before. Then it stayed blue.

“Micell!” I heard someone shouting my name.

I knew that voice. I thought, “what now?”

“Micell, where have you been?”

It was Darcy. She was always tailing me. Her hair was lighter today for some reason. She never lightened her hair. “You’ve never done that before,” I remarked.

She looked crossed and said, “done what?”

“Oh, never mind.” I decided it was a conversation I didn’t want to have. “How’s the farm?”

“Great! In fact, that exactly why I’ve been looking for you.”

“Well, I’ve been right here in the square.”

She looked cross again and folded her arms. “I’ve looked in this spot twice.”

“Swear, I’ve not moved all morning,” I told her honestly.

I raised my arms to block the blow, but she was too fast. She slapped me across the head. “Liar! You’re such the liar.”

“Fine, I’m out of here.” I’d had enough weirdness for one day. Maybe it will get better this afternoon.

“Oh, did I hurt your feelings?”

I didn’t look back. She could go stuff it for all I cared. I remembered when she was younger. Long medium brown hair down to her hips, and a little fleshy but an attractive plump. All the girls around here got that way for a little while at least. A few months back she had it cut. It looked good, but this lighter shade was something else.

“Where are you…” Darcy yelled but never finished. Like she was cut off.

Then I did turn to look at her. She was gone. There were no obvious hiding places. Strange.

That was when the weirdness got weird. The green sky was back, and the wind started to pick up. I felt the air compress my lungs. Thick humid air pressed upon me. Then I could breath normal. The air went normal.

“What the hell?” Darcy’s voice yelled out.

I whipped around to see her staring at me.

“How did you do that?” We asked at the same time.

We pointed in different directions, and I took a step back from her.

“Micell, what’s going on?” Darcy’s voice was shaken but insistent.

I was relieved. “You mean you saw it too?” My voice cracked trying to get the words out. “The green then the humid air?”

“What are you talking about?”

“I’m talking about the sky,” I said much more uncertainly than before.

“Micell, I only saw you vanish right before my eyes,” her eyes widened. “I ran over here to see where you’d gone. Only you were not here. I turned around and you appeared again.”

“I didn’t disappear, you did,” I accused.

Morning Coffee

Their date had lasted longer than Pebble had intended. They were so wrapped up in talking that time was lost to them. “So, do you realize what time it is?”

Marshall was lost in Pebble’s eyes. “It’s too early, I think.”

Pebble asked, “Too early for what?”

Marshall cleared his throat, “Ah, um, sorry. I lost myself. I mean whatever time it is, I think it’s too early to call it a night.”

Pebble liked this guy. He was smart, funny, and easy to talk to. “Quite right.” Pebble couldn’t help but smile.

Marshall loved that smile. It was catching. He loved the gleam in his eyes that let you know that he was really enjoying the company. Marshall forced himself to avert his gaze, looked at his watched and sighed, “The coffee shop closed four hours ago.”

Pebble’s smile widened at that. “Yeah, I remember the crew saying good night.” He chuckled deep.

Marshall could have melted right there. He’d never felt such sudden passion at a deep voice. He was numb all over.

Pebble moved closer, “are you cold. You’re shivering.”

Marshall was shaking, but not because he was cold. “No, I’m not cold.”

Pebble took his coat and opened it for Marshall. They leaned in close and shared in the warmth.

“I guess I was cold,” Marshall said.

Something cracked loudly in the sky and they looked up together. Something was different about the sky, and it took them a few moments to realize what it was.

The stars were out. A great many stars were shining in the sky. “Too many, in fact,” Marshall thought.

Pebble twisted and craned his head, “I don’t see Orion.”

“See what?”

“Orion, the constellation.”

“You’re right,” Marshall agreed. “It’s been a while, but I don’t see it either. I don’t see the Big Dipper either, but I see way too many stars out.”

Pebble was focused Marshall’s face. He searched from his brow to his cheek and curved around and down his angular stubbly jaw line. He stopped at Marshall’s lips. “Must be one of those clear nights,” Pebble whispered deep and sexy.

Marshall thought that was perhaps the most romantic thing anyone had ever said to him, and would have responded, but Pebble lips began to part as if to say something else. Marshall loved the sound of Pebble’s voice and wanted to hear every word. Marshall moved in closer and tuned his ear a little as if to listen. He didn’t want to miss whatever Pebble was going to say.

It came as a surprise when Pebble locked his lips to Marshall’s. All the numbness bled away into passion as their kiss lingered for what seemed like hours.

When they finally pulled apart brightness filled the area. The two had to squint. Their eyes were slits in an ocean of glowing light. Shielding their eyes, it took moments to adjust. New sounds came into focus as they tried to take in their surroundings.

Struck dumb, they each in turn found it hard to believe. The sun was low in the horizon visible between the buildings. The daylight filled the morning air with birds singing and cars passing by.

The coffee shop owner was jangling his keys, frantic to get the door open. When he noticed the men he said, “morning. Sorry, I’m late. I slept a bit past my alarm. Well, snoozed a few times anyways,” he snorted.

From the balcony

My mind was racing again with thoughts that were not my own. I couldn’t sleep with all the outpouring of emotions and random mental chatter that skates across the minds I touch. Their dreams were too loud, and I reflexivly covered my ears to shut them out. It was a chore, but I managed to block the loudest dreams. Tossing an extra pillow to the floor, I sat up to lotus my way through this. I meditated to find my center. Things began to calm. Sleep would come soon.

The voices started up again after I finally felt relaxed enough lay my head down. I had to do something, but I decided not to take a sleeping pill. Grogginess was not my strong suit. Besides, with chemicals the dreams would take on a dark foreshadowing that would haunt me througout the next day. There was nothing worse than having visions of unhappy events to wear you down.

There was only one way to tune them out, and that was to locate something else to occupy my mind. Finding myself on the balcony of my apartment, the night air refreshing and begged for my attention. It was a start, but it would have to be more.
The drop to the street was around seventy five feet, and at 3 in the morning, only the few nightowls would be up to notice my decent. Or so I thought. One woman screamed and dropped her glass of water. She was unlucky enough to turn from her sink just as I passed. Time stood still for the brief moment I spent in her window’s view, or maybe it was her falling glass trying to keep pace with me that gave me the feeling of seconds ticking by like hours.

I sent a sharp thought to her mind to forget me and go to bed. She quickly shut up. I’d have to fix that tomorrow. I would have to remember to stop by her 3rd floor apartment. Shelly was her name. Apartment 3B. Shouldn’t be too hard to remember that. If I forget, she’ll sleep herself to death.

Her scream was a distraction that I shouldn’t have focused in on. Distracted but for august split second before I splattered on the sidewalk, I braced my mind for the impact. Damn, that hurt. I lay there still conscious. Barely.

The good news was that the voices faded into a soft buzzing. It became the normal white noise I got when my mind was not psyched up. The bad news hit me like a planter. I’d brushed the branches of a potted plant. It followed me down from the 5th floor and landed square in my gut. If I’d had any breath left in me, the ceramic pot would have knocked it out for sure. Though, the pain was intense.

I knew I had to pull myself together before someone decided to call for help.

I forced the pain to the back of my mind and set to fixing my broken body. Boy was it broken. Cracked ribs, skull fracture, and ruptured parts I didn’t know I had. I was bleeding everywhere. I hoped there was no brain damage. It always took too much time to heal my brain.

I remembered the diner around the corner was open 24/7. After this repair job, I’d be hungry. I hoped I had brought my wallet.

Apartment

Shelly’s apartment was locked, of course. I sensed that no one would be in the hall for another ten minutes. I let my mind reach out and touch the lock. The familiar feel of tumblers played in my minds eye as I attempted to find the combination that would open the deadbolt. It took more effort than I was used too, but in the end it proved to cause only a slight delay in my plans. The deadbolt required a key to open from either side. I heared the mechanism click with the effort of my mind pushing everything into place. The doorknob was easier to unlock.

Without touching anything, I slipped inside the apartment and closed the door behind me. A bitter acrid smell hung in the air. The coffeepot was still cooking the dried remains of cheap columbian roast. I couldn’t tell when the coffee was brewed, but it looked like an early morning caller had stopped by.

I started to seek a quick postcognative vision to tell me what happened since I last dropped by, but crunching sound from the other room stopped me. My casual walk through the apartment faltered. Either Shelly was awake, or her visitor was still here. I sent my mind forward, around the corner, and then down the short hall to the bedroom.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger